Home » Greetings from the Internship Director

Archives

Categories

• No categories

Greetings from the Internship Director

Hello!  I am Dr. Ann Gaba, Director of the CUNY Graduate School of Public Health and Health Policy Nutrition and Dietetics Internship.                                                                                                            

I have worn many hats in my 20+ years in nutrition. My BS degree was in community nutrition at Cornell’s College of Human Ecology. After graduation, I worked as the food-service manager of a 58-bed nursing home. At the same time I earned a Master’s degree in Health Education at Russell Sage College. I moved down to New York City to pursue a doctoral degree in Nutrition Education at Teachers College, Columbia.  While doing coursework at TC, I did my RD qualifying experience at St. Luke’s Hospital.

My first professional job was as a clinical dietitian at Columbia Presbyterian Medical Center. Initially I was assigned to the general medicine ward service,  where I worked for about 2 years before moving on to cardiology and cardiac transplant. After 8 years in cardiology, I wanted a new challenge, so I switched to oncology, and worked in that area for another 8 years. Through most of my years at CPMC, I was also the consultant nutritionist at the Huntington’s Disease Center of Excellence in the New York State Psychiatric Institute. There, and at St. Luke’s Obesity Research Center, I conducted my dissertation research using 24-h indirect calorimetry to assess the energy needs of people with early stage HD.  The results of this study were published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition. I have been a speaker in webinars for the Huntington’s Disease Society of American, the Parkinson’s Disease Foundation, and 1199. I have twice been a speaker at the AND FNCE, and twice received the AND Foundation’s Gemple award for research on nutrition and neurological disorders. I have also written 3 chapters of the AND Nutrition Care Manual – all on neurological disorders.

I have been a member of my local Community Sponsored Agriculture (CSA) group since 2011, and I love to cook! I frequently travel internationally, collect cookbooks from where I’ve been, and try to replicate my favorite new foods when I get home.

The best way to contact me is by e-mail to: Ann.Gaba@sph.cuny.edu

Need help with the Commons? Visit our
    help page
    Send us a message