Home » Frequently Asked Questions

Archives

Categories

• No categories

Frequently Asked Questions

Q. I would like to have a Registered Dietitian come to my program’s event, or present a workshop for my clients. Can you do this for me?

A. No. The CUNY SPH Dietetic Internship is a training program, not a speakers bureau. Interns carry out educational activities under the supervision of qualified preceptors. Registered Dietitians who may be willing to consult for a fee are available through the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics.

Q. Can I be a preceptor?

A. If you meet the qualifications for preceptors, and are willing to host one or more interns, contact Ann.Gaba@sph.cuny.edu to discuss.

Q. I want to be a Registered Dietitian (RD). How do I go about it? What is the process?

A. Credentialing as a Registered Dietitian is a three-step process.

1. Complete academic coursework in an accredited Didactic Program in Dietetics (DPD).

2. Complete an accredited supervised practice experience, either an Internship Program (IP) or an Independent Supervised Practice Program (ISPP).

3. Take and pass the Registered Dietitian exam.

For more information about this process see:www.eatright.org and click on the “for students” tab.

Q. Does this program offer a part-time option?

A. No. All interns are considered full time.

Q. How do I apply to the Internship?

A. Complete an application through the DICAS portal AND D&D Digital https://www.dnddigital.com/  It is VERY IMPORTANT to have an application in BOTH sites, otherwise you can not be listed for a match.

Q. Are there any other requirements to apply to the Dietetic Internship?

A. Yes. The $100 application fee is also mandatory. Failure to submit the CUNY SPH DI application fee will result in the application being deemed “incomplete.” Application fees are non-refundable.

Q. Will you send me a receipt for my payment of the application fee?

A. No. It is suggested that applicants take a screen shot of their e-check payment for their records.

Q. Will you send me a receipt for my payment of tuition and course fees?

A. No. It is suggested that interns take a screen shot of their e-check payment for their records.

Q. Will the Internship provide me with form 1098T for tax purposes?

A. Form 1098T is available from the Bursar ONLY for interns who are registered for academic credit in the Internship. Non-degree/ non-credit interns are not eligible for this tax deduction. Non-degree / non-credit internship tuition and fees may be deductible as a professional expense if you are itemizing deductions. No forms or documents are provided by the Internship or SPH for this purpose.

Q. The school I attended did not have an accredited DPD program but I “took all the required courses.” Can I still apply to the CUNY SPH Nutrition and Dietetic Internship Program?

A. No. In order to apply to ANY Dietetic Internship Program (not just ours) you must have a DPD Verification Statement issued by an ACEND accredited DPD program. Also note that DPDs at different schools may meet the ACEND requirements through different courses. Therefore there is not really a list of “required courses” for a DPD verification. Each school with a DPD will have its own list of required courses.

Q. Does the CUNY SPH have an accredited DPD? Can I send you all my transcripts and get a DPD Verification Statement from you?

A. No. The CUNY SPH  does not have a DPD program. We can not issue DPD Verification Statements.

Q. I graduated from Medical school and I am interested in nutrition. Can I apply to the Nutrition and Dietetic Internship Program?

A. If you have a DPD Verification Statement, then yes you can. If not, then you are not eligible to apply.

Q. I was qualified and worked as a Dietitian / Nutritionist in another country. How can I get credentialed to practice as an RD in the United States?

A. See the Academy’s web page for information about this.

Q. I have already completed a DPD program, and I will be applying to the Internship Program next February. What do you consider to be an ideal candidate?

A. Every applicant will have strengths and weaknesses. We take a global approach to selecting and ranking applicants for the match, including personal statement, work/volunteer experience, references, and academic achievement. Applicants ranked highly for the match are those who best demonstrate that they can successfully carry out the required activities of our program. Be confident!

Q. Do you do interviews as part of the intern selection process?

No. We do not do interviews.

Q. Can I schedule a one-on-one meeting with you to talk about the Internship?

A. No. The Internship provides opportunities to meet the Director and current interns at our annual Open House, FNCE Internship Fair, and GNYDA Internship Fair as well as virtual information sessions. Specific questions about the program will be answered if e-mailed to the Program Director Ann.Gaba@sph.cuny.edu.

Q. Do you do criminal background checks?

A. While we hope that everyone is answering honestly regarding any past criminal offenses when they complete their applications in DICAS, some of our rotation sites DO require a criminal background check (for ALL states, not just NY.)

Q. How important is GPA in Intern selection?

A. It is important. GPA is an indicator of academic achievement. Applicants with a GPA of less than 3.0 are unlikely to be ranked for a match.

Q. My GPA is less than 3.0. Is there anything I can do to improve my chances of matching?

A. Yes, there are several things that you can do. 1.) You can re-take the courses that you did poorly in, and raise your DPD GPA. 2.) You can take courses in food and nutrition as part of a graduate degree program, to demonstrate your improved competency in the pertinent areas. 3.) You can obtain the New York State Certified Dietitian Nutritionist (CDN) credential, and take and pass the Registered Dietitian exam as a qualifying exam for that.

Q. What is a New York State Certified Dietitian / Nutritionist?  How is this different from a Registered Dietitian?

State Certification (Certified Dietitian/Nutritionist – CDN) denotes recognized expertise in dietetics and nutrition by the State of New York.

The Registered Dietitian (RD) credential is a nationally recognized credential from the Academy of Nutritition and Dietetics.

Q. Where can I find out more about the CDN credential?

The NYS Office of the Professions website: http://www.op.nysed.gov/prof/diet/

Q. Besides English, I can speak another language. Should I include this on my internship application?

A. Yes. Our rotation placements are in sites serving many diverse communities. Bilingual/multi-lingual interns can be very valuable in these settings.

Q. What about computer skills? What do I need to know in this area?

A. Basic computer skills are essential for successful completion of the the Internship Program (e.g. Word, Excel, PowerPoint). All interns are also required to create an e-portfolio to document and showcase their work throughout the internship. Proficiency with other software applications, such as desktop publishing or social media platforms can also be valuable.

Q. Are GRE scores required to apply for the Internship?

A. No. However, GRE scores are another indicator of academic achievement. If they are strong, you may wish to include them on you application. (See examples below.)

Note that if you plan to matriculate in the MPH degree program before or after the internship, you will need to submit GRE scores in a separate degree-program application through SOPHAS.

Q. My GPA is >3.0 but <3.5. My GRE scores were >50% for all areas. Should I include them in my application?

A. Yes.

Q. My GPA is >3.0, but my GRE scores were <50% for all areas. Should I send them anyway?

A. No.

Q. My GPA is <3.0, but my GRE score were >70% for all areas. Should I include them with my application?

A. YES!

Q. Are academic credits given for completing the Dietetic Internship?

A. On-site interns register for 6 graduate credits in the fall semester, and 6 graduate credits in the spring, for a total of 12 credits for the year. Note that these courses *ARE* the internship, and not additional courses beyond the internship required hours. Upon completion of the internship, 9 of these credits can be applied towards the 42 credit MPH degree in Public Health Nutrition. The internship can be done as a non-degree student. Continuation through the MPH is optional. Distance interns also have a non-credit option, for which no academic credits are given.

Q. Is financial aid available for interns?

A. Non-degree students are not eligible for financial aid. Part-time matriculated students may be eligible for student loans. All interns are encouraged to apply for scholarships through the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics Foundation.

Q. Where are the Internship rotation sites located?  Can I get a list of all of them?

A. The CUNY SPH Nutrition and Dietetic Internship Program utilizes a variety of sites throughout the five boroughs of New York City. All are accessible by public transportation. Depending on the sites selected, daily commutes can be more than one hour each way. Some rotations also require additional travel to participate in meetings or activities. Availability of preceptors and rotation sites changes from one year to the next. Therefore, a list of rotation sites is not available to applicants.

Q. If I am accepted to the Internship Program, can I get credit towards my internship hours for work that I have done after completing my DPD courses?

A. Yes. The Internship Program offers Prior Assessed Learning (PAL) for appropriate activities.

Q. Are vaccinations required? Which ones?

Yes. Vaccinations / proof of immunity are required as described below.

Measles, Mumps, Rubella:

New York State Public Health Law 2165 requires all students entering a post-secondary institution to provide their health services center with proof of immunity to measles, mumps and rubella. This law applies to students born on or after January 1, 1957, who are registered for 6 or more credits (or its equivalent) regardless of degree or non-degree status at a CUNY campus.

ACCEPTABLE PROOF OF IMMUNITY MAY INCLUDE:

(1) Immunization cards from childhood (yellow card), signed and stamped.

(2) Immunization records from college, high school or other schools you attended.

(3) Signed and stamped immunization record from your health care provider or clinic. Note: Immunization records obtained from a public health department immunization information system. Students born after 1994 who were raised in New York City can check the Citywide Immunization Registry for their records by calling 311.

(4) Copy of lab report, (also known as titer or serology), showing immunity to measles, mumps and rubella.

Our clinical facilities also require Hepatitis A vaccination or positive titer, negative PPD (TB test) or chest x-ray, and seasonal influenza (flu) vaccination.

Verification of COVID19 vaccination is required.