Home » Frequently Asked Questions

Recent Comments



    • No categories

    Frequently Asked Questions

    Q. I want to be a Registered Dietitian (RD).  How do I go about it?  What is the process?

    A. Credentialing as a Registered Dietitian is a three-step process.

              1. Complete academic coursework in an accredited Didactic Program in Dietetics (DPD).

              2. Complete an accredited supervised practice experience, either an Internship Program (IP) or an Independent Supervised Practice Program (ISPP).

             3. Take and pass the Registered Dietitian exam.

    For more information about this process see:  www.eatright.org  and click on the “for students” tab.

    Q. How do I apply to the Internship?

    A. Complete an application through the DICAS portal https://portal.dicas.org/  AND D&D Digital https://www.dnddigital.com/  It is VERY IMPORTANT to have an application in BOTH sites, otherwise you can not be listed for a match.

    Q. Are there any other requirements to apply to the Dietetic Internship?

    A. Yes. The $100 application fee is also mandatory. Failure to submit the CUNY GSPHHP NDI application fee will result in the application being deemed “incomplete.”

     Q. What is a New York State Certified Dietitian / Nutritionist?  How is this different from a Registered Dietitian?

    State Certification (Certified Dietitian/Nutritionist – CDN) denotes recognized expertise in dietetics and nutrition by the State of New York. 

    The Registered Dietitian (RD) credential is a nationally recognized credential from the Academy of Nutritition and Dietetics.

    Q. Where can I find out more about the CDN credential?

    The NYS Office of the Professions website: http://www.op.nysed.gov/prof/diet/

    Q. The school I attended did not have an accredited DPD program but I “took all the required courses.” Can I still apply to the CUNY GSPHHP Nutrition and Dietetic Internship Program?

    A. No. In order to apply to ANY Dietetic Internship Program (not just ours) you must have a DPD Verification Statement issued by an ACEND accredited DPD program. Also note that DPDs at different schools may meet the ACEND requirements through different courses. Therefore there is not really a list of “required courses” for a DPD verification. Each school with a DPD will have its own list of required courses.

    Q. Does the CUNY GSPHHP have an accredited DPD? Can I send you all my transcripts and get a DPD Verification Statement from you?

    A. No. The CUNY GSPHHP  does not have a DPD program. We can not issue DPD Verification Statements.

    Q. I graduated from Medical school and I am interested in nutrition. Can I apply to the Nutrition and Dietetic Internship Program?

    A. If you have a DPD Verification Statement, then yes you can. If not, then you are not eligible to apply.

    Q. I was qualified and worked as a Dietitian / Nutritionist in another country. How can I get credentialed to practice as an RD in the United States?

    A. See http://www.eatrightacend.org/ACEND/content.aspx?id=6442485502 for information about this.

    Q. I have already completed a DPD program, and I will be applying to the Internship Program next February.  What do you consider to be an ideal candidate?

    A. Every applicant will have strengths and weaknesses. We take a global approach to selecting and ranking applicants for the match, including personal statement, work/volunteer experience, references, and academic achievement. Applicants ranked highly for the match are those who best demonstrate that they can successfully carry out the required activities of our program.

    Q. Do you do interviews as part of the intern selection process?

    No. We do not do interviews.

    Q. Do you do criminal background checks?

    A. While we hope that everyone is answering honestly regarding any past criminal offenses when they complete their applications in DICAS, some of our rotation sites DO require a criminal background check (for ALL states, not just NY.)

    Q. How important is GPA in Intern selection?

    A. It is important. GPA is an indicator of academic achievement. Applicants with a GPA of less than 3.0 are unlikely to be ranked for a match.

    Q. Besides English, I can speak another language. Should I include this on my internship application?

    A. Yes. Our rotation placements are in sites serving many diverse communities. Bilingual/multi-lingual interns can be very valuable in these settings.

    Q. What about computer skills? What do I need to know in this area?

    A. Basic computer skills are essential for successful completion of the the Internship Program (e.g. Word, Excel, PowerPoint). All interns are also required to create an e-portfolio to document and showcase their work throughout the internship. Proficiency with other software applications, such as desktop publishing or social media platforms can also be valuable.

    Q. Are GRE scores required to apply for the Internship?

    A. No. However, GRE scores are another indicator of academic achievement. If they are strong, you may wish to include them on you application. If you plan to matriculate in the MPH degree program before or after the internship, you will need to submit GRE scores in a separate degree-program application through SOPHAS.

    Q. Are academic credits given for completing the Dietetic Internship?

    A. On-site interns register for 6 graduate credits in the fall semester, and 6 graduate credits in the spring, for a total of 12 credits for the year. Note that these courses *ARE* the internship, and not additional courses beyond the internship required hours. Upon completion of the internship, these 12 credits can be applied towards the 45 credit MPH degree in Public Health Nutrition. The internship can be done as a non-degree student. Continuation through the MPH is optional.

    On-line interns are enrolled as non-credit students.

    Q. Is financial aid available for interns?

    A. Non-degree students are not eligible for financial aid. Part-time matriculated students may be eligible for student loans. All interns are encouraged to apply for scholarship through the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics Foundation.

    Q. Where are the Internship rotation sites located?  Can I get a list of all of them?

    A. The CUNY GSPHHP Nutrition and Dietetic Internship Program utilizes a variety of sites throughout the five boroughs of New York City. All are accessible by public transportation. Depending on the sites selected, daily commutes can be more than one hour each way. Some rotations also require additional travel to participate in meetings or activities. Availability of preceptors and rotation sites changes from one year to the next. Therefore, a list of rotation sites is not available to applicants.

    Q. If I am accepted to the Internship Program, can I get credit towards my internship hours for work that I have done after completing my DPD courses?

    A. Yes. The Internship Program offers Prior Assessed Learning (PAL) for appropriate activities.

    The CUNY GSPHHP Nutrition and Dietetic Internship participates in the Prior Assessed Learning program recognized by The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics’ ACEND.

    The Prior Assessed Learning program is designed to grant varying degrees of internship credit in specific rotations of the internship based on the qualified applicant’s learning, as demonstrated through paid work or volunteer experiences. Experiences considered for PAL must meet competencies required by ACEND that are equivalent to an entry-level dietitian. Internship credit is given for learning and gaining knowledge through the work experience of a professional career. The credit is not for work experience, but is given when an applicant demonstrates an increase in knowledge and learning. Typically, the individual qualifying for this credit is an older, “non-traditional” applicant.

    PAL will not be granted as a replacement for any of the didactic portion of the internship.

    Experiences submitted for PAL will have taken place after completion of all DPD courses.

    PAL credit will not exceed 900 hours.

    The tuition and fees for the Internship will remain the same, regardless of the amount of PAL granted.

    Submission of a request for PAL credit does not guarantee that such credit will be awarded, in full or in part as requested.

    Decisions regarding the awarding of PAL credit are at the discretion of the Internship Director.

    Applicants are encouraged to discuss potential PAL experiences with the Internship Director prior to preparing and submitting the application materials.

     Q. Are vaccinations required? Which ones?

    Yes. Vaccinations / proof of immunity are required as described below.

    Measles, Mumps, Rubella:

    New York State Public Health Law 2165 requires all students entering a post-secondary institution to provide their health services center with proof of immunity to measles, mumps and rubella. This law applies to students born on or after January 1, 1957, who are registered for 6 or more credits (or its equivalent) regardless of degree or non-degree status at a CUNY campus.


    (1) Immunization cards from childhood (yellow card), signed and stamped.

    (2) Immunization records from college, high school or other schools you attended.

    (3) Signed and stamped immunization record from your health care provider or clinic. Note: Immunization records obtained from a public health department immunization information system. Students born after 1994 who were raised in New York City can check the Citywide Immunization Registry for their records by calling 311.

    (4) Copy of lab report, (also known as titer or serology), showing immunity to measles, mumps and rubella.

     Our clinical facilities also require Hepatitis A vaccination or positive titer, negative PPD (TB test) or chest x-ray, and seasonal influenza (flu) vaccination.





    Need help with the Commons? Visit our
    help page
    Send us a message
    Skip to toolbar